This is inspired by my priest's homily this morning...he spoke about the Lord's Prayer and how he was always asked to recite it for guests, and how excited he was to know it by heart because it made him a prayerful person!
I learned the Lord's Prayer as a child, but was never asked to recite it for guests. I never identified knowing it with making me more prayerful, either... It has given me great comfort, at times, but my life has been so different from the 'traditional' Catholic life that sometimes I'm left at a loss for words. In NO way am I a traditional Catholic woman. I left the church in my teens, became agnostic, then came back to it at a later date. I'm not saying I don't have great love for my faith, but I've never learned the names of the saints, I don't stand up when the priest enters the room...
I think one can be prayerful without the Lord's Prayer, and prayerful with it. You can lead a prayerful life... but I think Jesus gave the disciples the prayer to show a new way of praying. To show that you don't always have to pray in the conventional manner....
No comments:
Post a Comment