The Naming of Cats is a curious matter
It isn't just one of your holiday games
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter...
From T.S.Eliot's the Naming of Cats. (any mistakes are mine, I typed from memory-no pun intended)
As another thing I do, I do ceramics. And I posted a pic of my latest finished piece on Facebook. And then I realised, most of my pieces don't have names! I come up with a concept sometimes, or a play on something I'm working on, and that will have a name...but usually they don't. And I suspect its more of a common problem with creative types than most people admit.
In music, a lot of the classic symphonies have numbers, or descriptors, "Cantata in E Major", or some such title. Artists have 'series'...so you just think of one title or descriptor, and then add numbers for the following ones!
Its easier if your painting or piece depicts something specific, but mine rarely do, or else they are mundane...like giant flowers. :D
There have been pieces I've seen that have been titled something specific where I have peered at them, spent ages in front of them, trying to figure out how the title relates to the piece! "Nude woman"? I don't see a nude woman.... hmmmmmmmm
That's what someone needs to give as a class, "How to title your artwork".
No comments:
Post a Comment