October is the month of Pink. Of Breast Cancer. And yes, its prevalent in my family. My mother's mother had it, my mother had it, and my aunt had it. The nanny who raised me and my sister died from it (not related by blood, but by heart). In many ways, I'm at risk, never having had children, having been (and still am) overweight. I do do some things right to prevent cancer. I eat organic. I minimize plastic. I watch what I use on my body, on my skin. The skin is the largest organ of the body....
It was hard, watching my mother going through so much surgery, going through the chemo. It was an odd turnaround for us, because she watched me go through surgery when I was small... it was hard for her, because she's never been really sick, while I have had the mixed blessing of a chronic disease (the endometriosis).
If I think about this too much, I get scared. Really scared. I wish there was more I could do to be an activist on keeping out environment safe, on minimizing our daughters exposures to toxic chemicals, to plasticizers, to carcinogens in our fruits and veggies and our food. I wish I could eat nothing but organic...
No comments:
Post a Comment