Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Mythology of Women

There has become this grand mythology of women these days. According to the magazines and advertisers women are these impossibly perfect, almost alien beings. They cook, clean, take care of 30 kids, hold down a full-time job, read, are perfectly manicured and hairless in ALL the right places. They never have cramps, a messy house, or a bad period. The linens are always starched, curtains and decor are changed seasonally, they are always fragrant. Immaculate makeup and hair, of course. And a zit? God Forbid.

Even in my boarding school, 20 years ago, there was a mythology that your period really didn't affect you. I remember the teacher telling us that you used to get a 'sick' day automatically for the first day of your period, and I STILL remember thinking 'what a marvelous idea'. The teacher then went on to say that of course that was hogwash.... that no-one's period affected them that much.

(And yes, maybe you can tell, its that time for me...bleah). But I am continually surprised and disturbed at the amount of image manipulation there is in our lives. From photoshopping already skinny women into almost stick figures... or having the message blared at you that with the 'right' feminine products you too could have a 'Happy' period, to even the images of women on TV...

There are the women of 'Mad Men', glamorous, poised, coiffed, but powerless. There are the women of Wisteria Lane, who are supposedly friends, but also bitter enemies. There are the catty 'Real Housewives'. There are, in almost every sitcom, the skinny, gorgeous, intelligent woman, with some fat ignorant slob.

Where are the professors? The educated, literate, capable women who do exist? Where are the women who build things, or drive trucks? The historical women? (and NOT Messalina or Cleopatra, or the bitchy power-hungry women of Rome) Show me real women, women with curves, women with a little grey in their hair. Women who have cramps, or who have meltdowns.... and who have normal meltdowns, not boil-the-bunny meltdowns.

I miss tv characters like Claire Huxtable, or even Xena (the earlier shows). Heck, even Buffy's mom had some potential. But enough with the vapid helpless female images! Why not show us single mothers who have made it work, and how. Why not show us that women can be sweaty and beautiful? Or be gorgeous without having to shave their armpits and legs ten times a day...

(And while I'm dreaming, why not make comfortable, smart clothes that women can wear? I hate chinos and I hate jeans. And I don't want to dress like a teenager. But I want to look cute, not like a matron...(I may be old enough to be someone's mom, but at the moment its not likely that I ever will be).

If you are going to give us fantasy, make it a fantasy that is positive. Make it one about women who achieve, without backstabbing anyone. Make it about being a good parent, a loving parent. Make it about being happy and beautiful in your own skin.

That's what I'd like to see in the media.

No comments: