Friday, February 5, 2010

Teen CDs, and messages thereof...

So yesterday, at work, I tidied up the teen CDs. And I got to see some of what modern teens are listening to. (Unfortunately, a bunch of new CDs got stolen last week) I was horrified at some of the images of women shown on the covers. Its not just the CDs, though. So many of the teen books are these 'clique'-type books. Marshmallow for the mind, books that celebrate cliques, that are about sex, about popularity, just real real dreck. There are a few creative, intelligent teen books, but most of what I see saddens and horrifies me. So many vampire/undead teen books, and so many of these vapid teen books. There are very few strong, independent women in teen books, CDs, movies.

It is no wonder that teens are wearing sweatpants with 'juicy' emblazoned on their derrieres! It is very sobering. When all you have in the stores for teens, as cute clothes, are bootylicious or boobilicious. When they are constantly bombarded with images of women as sex toys, of women as brainless bimbos, of women who have to be in a clique to be strong... how are we going to have strong girls who grown up to be strong women? How are we going to have girls who feel good about themselves and their bodies?

When its a constant message, a constant bombardment...

No comments: