Heh. Yes, instead of an insightful New Years blog on how I am giving up all things sinful, (except sex, which is never apparently going to happen again anyway) you get a slightly feverish blog on how Barbie (and Ken) affected my life.
I always wanted, secretly, to dress like Barbie. Yes, she had some frumpy clothes, but the majority "showed off her assets" so to speak. It didn't help, I think that I grew up in the Middle East and that none of my relatives ever dressed to look good. It was always more the LL Bean look with my mom's family, and with my dad's? My aunts always wore skirts, below the knee, non-fitted. My paternal grandmother was always in some kind of caftan.
I always wanted that purple pantsuit. (yes I did grow up in the 70s) Who wouldn't want sexy, cute clothes to show off curves? And Barbie had glamorous, gorgeous clothes. I always liked the simpler, sexy things (which is why they don't really fit Barbie now, while the clothes I disliked are in much better condition...and yes, I still own my Barbies, and their furniture, and my Dream House, although they are at least stored in a box)
I never found Barbie's clothes in adult sizes, except for recently, when I was browsing this one site http://www.retrodress.com/ and found the pink dress from up top. I was so tempted to buy it. I love pink and purple. And I adore that green dress. I recently realized, when I was clothes shopping, that I was looking for something like that.
Edit: They still have it! http://www.retrodress.com/dr37.html They also have a hat and a necklace that I am in lust over. Sometimes the Internet is a bad thing. (here is the hat, if anyone wants to buy it for me...http://www.retrodress.com/ot125.html)
Barbie affected more than just clothes, though. Think about her living situation for a minute. She owns a Dream House. She owns campers, cars, horses, etc. She has 'younger siblings' (in my world, Barbie had kids, not little sisters. Little sisters were a pain in the tuchus). And there is usually one Ken for 20 Barbies. We had a big group bed for all the Barbies and Ken, and then a special single bed for one Barbie.
In retrospect, this affected my life more than I realised, looking back! I had gotten involved with a man with multiple partners, a lot of his partners knew each other! Heh.
Now granted, I can't put all the blame on Barbie. But it is funny, and sad too.
And here I am, living alone in my Dream House. I even own my own car too! But no Ken, and no 'younger siblings'. At least if Ken ever comes around, I know he won't have molded plastic underpants!
No comments:
Post a Comment