As women, we have the right to have power over our own bodies. We have the right to have a safe ending of a pregnancy. But abortion is also a horrible experience. How do I know? I've had one. Instead of arguing to end abortion we need to work at a grassroots level to change the perceptions and needs for abortion. Abortion is seen as an automatic solution. If you get pregnant, you get an abortion, if you are single. There is no counseling, really.
I wish I had known then what I know now. While I beleive that abortion is killing, and it is killing your baby (ies), it is not, for the most part, murder. A murder is killing a viable person, which a fetus is not yet. And sometimes a woman cannot have a baby on her own, or she has too many children, or has a valid reason for needing an abortion. And in that case, she needs to be able to have a legal, safe abortion.
But there also needs to be a climate where women can talk about it, and know that yes, it is a horrible experience for many women. Women need to know that its not a simple cut-and-dried procedure. The aftermath of mine stayed with me for a long time, and in some ways is still with me.
So here's to my twins, Danny and Rosie. I miss you every day, at Christmas, your birthmonth...
I know I will see you again. I love you, Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment