A chef in the kitchen, a madonna in public, and a whore in the bedroom. I couldn't actually remember how the phrase went, my recollection went like this: A whore in the bedroom, a madonna/virgin at church and something else in the kitchen. Someone else thought diplomat was in there somewhere. I keep thinking goddess is in it too.
This is supposed to be what men want. According to an aquaintance of mine, men want sex, "food they can get on their own". I just think that's too simplistic. And the saying is too simplistic. I think men want someone who is happy in their own skin. Men want the same things women want, a companion, a helpmate, someone to share passion with. But also men do encourage the idea that all they want is sex. When all you get on your Myspace page is email about how gorgeous you are and how they want to F*** your brains out (implied, but yes, I can read between the lines). Read my blog on there. See that I am an intelligent person, with feelings. I have a brain, I have a heart, and I have courage. (and yes, I was in the Wizard of Oz, so I can also sing!)
And yet we get ten thousand 'self-help' books about what men want. Men want honesty. Men don't want to be manipulated by the 'Rules'. I wish there was a way to cut through the crud of all these dating manuals, the falsity, the myths we grow up with and are imbued into our pores. When the 'net first started, I thought it would be that. But its a more sophisticated way to lie. What happened to being set up on dates (not that blind dates are fun, I'll have to post about my most horrendous blind date sometime)? What happened to being able to meet people socially? It seems like everyone's sons or grandsons are married.
Now it seems like its couples, single women, and me. And the gay men. Don't forget the gay men. I wonder how one could change the saying for them. "A chef in the kitchen, St Joseph in public, Adonis (or Apollo?) in the bedroom".
No comments:
Post a Comment