Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How growing up in a third-world country can colour your viewpoint...

So, I bought a house that was on a community well. This is in the not-so-distant past. In the further reaches of time, I spent my formative years in a third-world country. I remember coming back to the US in the summer and being astonished that one could drink out of the tap... in Cairo the water systems were so old that the sewer lines were sometimes above the water lines...and some of them, according to my mom, dated back to the time of Salah El-Din. (or, as Westerners may know him, Saladin...in other words, the Crusades).

My street recently switched over to town water, and I've been resisting. I have not been happy about it, had a pit in my stomach, etc, etc... and I realised why last night. I still have a gut sense, from growing up drinking bottled water, that tap water is dangerous. It isn't helped by me being a little bit of a nutty-crunchy born-again granola girl... the websites that I tend to read are full of the evils of town water...

I'm still not happy about it, but at least I know the reason why... and for me, understanding why I am so upset is half the battle...

I still prefer well water.

No comments: