Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why I want to hide up in the woods sometimes....

So, I got on a new forum, for gluten-free, and someone posted a link to this movie.

I'm wondering if some of my endometriosis issues came from Nutrasweet, now. In high school I gained, then lost, a ton of weight. But part of my weight maintenance was drinking a ton of coffee, with a ton of nutrasweet. I remember my hands shaking so badly when I tried to drink coffee...

This worries me on so many levels, because in other arenas, such as genetic modification, it is so much dependent on the research submitted by the company. And this company obviously played games with its results. And its been shown that other companies just do basic testing, or insufficient testing, fudging results...with the recent outcry against corn syrup there is now a drive for faster-growing sugar beets. For Genetically modified sugar beets.

But so many of our foods have additives, now. And additives that its been shown that people have reactions to. Dyes that are outlawed in Europe. Corn syrup. Gums. Modified food starches... Or chemicals, and our water has chemicals added, and everything comes in plastics, which have been proven to leach into foods...

What do I do? I try to eat as local as possible. I try not to eat any fake sugars, I don't eat stuff because its low-fat or sugar-free... I try to eat organic, because its got a little more control of what is in it. I do eat some boxed foods, (Udi's breads) and gluten-free cereals and pastas...

No comments: