Thursday, March 31, 2011

On the "Evil Chef" and the power of Facebook.

So, if you are gluten-free or have gluten-free friends, you probably know of the latest furor. A certain "chef" posted on his facebook profile that he has INTENTIONALLY glutened people. *urgh*

He has since deleted his profile. Now why am I posting this here instead of my gluten-free blog? Because of musings on Facebook. Its an interesting tool. It can be fabulous, as in helping promote a revolution in Egypt, but it can also be dangerous. They keep changing the privacy settings, so you have to keep on top of it. But its being used as a marketing tool by authors, artists, designers, etc.

Its being used to keep in touch with relatives, to network professionally, all kinds of things. But the lines sometimes get blurred. I have settings for people from work, the theatre, games I play... but I have also removed my address completely from my profile. Because a setting change has caught me by surprise.

I also limit the number of outside applications that network with Facebook. I shouldn't have ANY, but I do. Basically, I try to control the damage as much as possible.

Because of Facebook, this chef has basically lost any credibility in the food world. People were calling the restaurants he'd worked at, incensed. I feel bad for those places.

No comments: