Friday, December 3, 2010

Ranting and raving and heartaching....

So, because of Facebook, and a game I play on there, I am friends with a variety of different people. And sometimes, things they post REALLY scare me, really upset me. This was the case this morning... one of my Frontier friends posted about an 11 year-old girl who shot and KILLED two robbers. She posted it as her little pre-teen hero. I was horrified. Ok, yes, the girl was trained in guns, and that is admirable. But maybe, instead of having the child's first defense be a gun, and being aggressive towards home invaders, have the first reaction be to call 911 or get out of the house. If she had time enough to go get the gun from her parents room (and hypothetically take it out of the safe, load the bullets...because who keeps a loaded gun in their bedroom?) she would have had time to call 911. I cannot imagine the trauma to a child of killing two people...

Now granted, the same website also had a lovely little article saying that we need to profile in airports, because those darn Muslims are all terrorists and every mosque on American soil harbors them. Now, I know that the American government does do a certain amount of profiling. And they also have lists of Arabs in the country. (How do I know this? I have dual nationality, and had to renew my Egyptian passport in New York, and had to register with the American government). But the thing is, anyone can be a terrorist. Look at Tim McVeigh. He was not Muslim, he was not Arab. He pulled off one of the larger terrorist acts here in the States. Its my impression that the people who have pulled stunts like explosives in shoes and underwear have also been non-Arab. So please. Anyone can be a terrorist. And be smart, but don't assume someone is a terrorist based on their last name or their nationality.

And for the heartaching part...I want kids. Particularly this time of year. Christmas is for kids, not adults. And reading about my friends kids hurts. *sigh*

No comments: