So recently I've been reading a lot of blogs and articles on food... and honestly, its a crazy mess out there. I have a friend who does tons of supplements, works out, and is avoiding dairy... I have another friend who is reading the 'grass-roots vegan' sites, which claim that there is a huge government conspiracy about food. I went to Aldi's yesterday after hearing people rave about it... canned goods, packaged goods, nothing organic...
I'm in between. I try to eat my meats and the top ten foods organically (berries, peppers). I belong to a CSA. But I still eat non-organically. I still eat fish, meat. I drink raw milk in the summer, and it makes a difference in my health.
I'm upset that I'm getting town water... I really don't want crap in my water like chlorine, flouride, various agents, and then its piped for miles.... and you have no idea how contaminated its gotten...
I am proof that you can get fat eating healthy things!
But my weight and health always take a nosedive the more conventional produce I eat. And I remember reading about a study that claimed that powdered milk contributed to cancer... and it does make me wonder...
But I don't go to the other extreme with no sugar, no fat, no dairy, no chocolate...
I try to be moderate. But here's an interesting tidbit. One of my CCD kids gave me a mug of candy for Christmas. I tried a little piece of 3 Musketeers. BLEAH. It tasted like crud. Really bad chocolate. And I wonder if all these little bags of mini cheap chocolates are contributing to America's ill-health. We have two extremes in the grocery store. Giant humongous bars or tiny little bars. What happened to a regular, ordinary sized chocolate bar?
And please, make it good chocolate. Most of these foods just taste horrible. They aren't worth it. Loaded with corn syrup, gums, additives... (and sorry, granola folks, but agave syrup is the new corn syrup)...
I've been trying to figure out this new food safety bill...because what we need is something to monitor pesticides, to keep small farms safe, to keep raw milk and cheese safer for those who want to eat them. For the raw milk and cheeses, use common sense! Don't sell them at Costco. If you sell them in the supermarket, keep them in separate, closed cases, where it is at an even temp, and don't store them in the back... have lots of inspections of the facility where they are produced, make sure it is impeccably clean. Test the animals, test the products. I want to be able to drink my raw milk in the summer. Its completely different from pasteurized milk.
Would I give it to a young child? I'm not sure. I might low-pasteurize it first. I almost suspect that it is the freshness of the milk, not the pasteurization (or lack thereof) that makes it healthier...
I just know we need to do something about our food system. We have the technology for healthy food, but we need to stop with all the processed crap... all the canned foods... all the plastic on and around our food, all the chemicals in our food and our water...
No comments:
Post a Comment