Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Presidency

*sigh*

I did not vote for George Bush (either one), or approve of their foreign policies. But they were the Presidents of the United States of America. They were elected, and served their terms. I respected the office while not necessarily respecting the choices. WHY can we not have that with our current President? Why can't he make a speech to children about staying in school? He is the POTUS. The Commander-in-chief.

Presidents have made speeches to the Nation in the past.

Both sides are becoming so derogatory of the other... I am just appalled. I did a search for Presidential addresses, and found such wildly divergent sides... when did we, as a country, become so negative about our elected leadership? Why is he accused of being like royalty? I can't actually read the things being posted by both sides because they are both so negative!

Can we not have a dialogue? Conversation? Listen to the speech with your child and explain if you disagree with anything our President has said.

I really just don't understand. And its not a comment on one side or the other. Both sides have grandstanded in the past. I didn't like that they brought out "W." right before Bush left office, I thought that was disrespectful.

Can we please, please find some common ground?

Staying in school is a good thing. Learning is a good thing. Respect is a good thing. Don't take your kids out of school because the leader of our country is going to address them. (But also remember, you have the freedom to do this. There are some countries where you would be arrested for such an action). If we have the freedom to do something does not mean that we should.

Can we not treat people the way we wish to be treated? Can we not treat our president with the respect that he deserves? He is the leader of our country, and if we don't treat him with respect, how can we expect other countries to do the same?

No comments: