Friday, September 12, 2008

You are what you read? (not for under 18)

I'm on a messageboard which is technically about food, but we discuss other things too... one of which is books. And in one thread on books, someone mentioned that he starts thinking like the book he is reading at the moment... so when he reads Tolkien, he starts thinking in Middle-Earthese... and that got me thinking about the phenomenon... and how you are what you read, but sometimes people are the opposite of what they read (at least I certainly hope so!).

I am one of those people who absorbs what I read, and what I read also reflects my state of mind as well. For instance, when I was rediscovering my faith, and trying to figure out what I beleived/how I beleived, I read a lot of 'finding faith' books, and a lot of things about the evolution of Catholicism (I'm actually a little more Gnostic in my beliefs than I am Catholic, with a dash of Protestantism thrown in, but that's a different topic). I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy, as I try to see the magic in the world. Not literal magic, obviously, but there is a beauty that is conveyed by some of the myths and legends, and I love books that incorporate that into the modern world. I like people-based books, about people in strange worlds, about communication. I tend not to like bloody/gory things or 'tabloid' books, or technology-driven sci-fi.

There are, however, little old ladies, and very sweet people, who come to the library and take out the most extraordinary stuff. They take out books on axe murderers, Jack The Ripper, true-crime books...the secret history of Princess Di..

and it does make me wonder. So much of the stuff I read is something that is enriching in some way for me, or helps me figure out my desires, my wants, my interests (and now I may need to 'edit' my library on the side here...it may tell more about me than you need to know!) I just don't understand the little old ladies who want bloody, gory murders, or who like reading Stephen King... every time I've read anything with the slightest tinge of horror, I end up sitting up in bed all night with a carving knife under my pillow! My imagination is just too vivid I guess!

I think (and now this may be TMI, but I'm basically thinking as I write), that the only thing I read about that is at all similar in concept to people reading horror is stuff like Heinlein and Carey, with some racy sexual situations... its stuff I will probably never live, but it is entertaining to read about.

I do tend to take some books very much to heart, though. Which is why I rarely read torrid romances anymore. As much as I would love for a Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet and carry me away, at this point, I'm going to have to hunt him down and drag him out from wherever he is hiding... I've also stopped (as much as possible) reading the books where the heroine is really in love with her best friend. My best friend is my best friend, period, end of sentence. I don't want to start transferring the feelings from the book to him, he has enough issues without me acting like a lovesick puppy!

Yes, I know, now it sounds like there is nothing I can read... but it really is amazing how one can transfer feelings from a book into reality... I'm just surprised we don't have more axe murderers as a result!

No comments: