I was watching a movie yesterday, on the Indie channel. They did not have commercials. Honestly, I get up, during commercials (or pause a movie on the DVD) and go get something to nosh on. I realised this.
In the cinemas in France, there weren't popcorn, candy, soft drinks, etc. (at least not the two I went in). There weren't those things on the boat at the movie there (the one place we weren't being fed/beveraged)... Its fascinating.
And it really made me think, we really are a food-obsessed culture, and not in a good way. France is food-obsessed in a good way. You sit down, you have a wonderful piece of something, you enjoy it, and then you are done. You don't go home, turn on the telly, and have a packet of chips. (sorry about the mix of anglicisation and americanisms--story of my life, and being on the Queen Mary II brought some of that back to life for me)
Yes, there are other factors too, mini-chocolates, maxi-chocolates (whatever happened to a normal sized candy bar? its either snack-size or mega-humongous-big-whopper-value sized), corn syrup (and now the lobby is feeling the pinch and putting ads out), not having a walking culture...
But you start adding up all the little things, and its scary...
No comments:
Post a Comment