Sunday, March 1, 2015

On singledom...

So, a friend of mine recently got married.  She has been in a long term relationship for over 20 years, and has kids.    And this got me thinking about being single.  Because of course I am happy for her, but at the same time, there is a twinge...  there is a feeling that I will never meet someone who thinks the stars shine in my eyes...  and no kids, too late for that.  (And that is a completely different post about dating in your forties, ugh)

Yes, there are many things I love about being single...  I only have to cook for myself, I can paint the downstairs fuchsia if I like.  I don't need to incorporate someone else's tastes or family into things...  I can use up leftovers, and plan on leftovers.

 I do think that everyone should have to live alone for at least one year.  My mother only did later in life.  

I have a whole house to spread out in...

But there are times when it feels very lonely.  

No one to say good morning, or offer to get more milk.  Or make the coffee, or run a load of laundry when you just can't move.   (or mow the grass)

Sometimes (too often) not cooking because you will be eating the same thing for a week.  I love to cook...

But then again, I'm having rice pudding and junk tv for dinner...  so its not all bad.

And there is satisfaction in figuring out how to bleed the baseboards, or fix the washing machine.

But also frustration in dealing with people who expect me to have a husband.  And no-one to run interference with nosy neighbors...

(you'd think no-one had lived alone before in the history of ever)

The thing I miss most, touch.  We don't live in a society that values touch...  

I'm lonely at times, but in some ways I'm more lonely living in suburbia, among the happy families, than I was out in the woods...

I don't miss living in a box, sandwiched between other boxes.  New York gives me claustrophobia.   Too many people!

 Being in a relationship also helps you get out of the house.  You get invited to more things if you are part of a couple, its the truth.  People don't think of inviting the single lady.   

But honestly, if I ever met someone, we'd need either a Victorian or a mansion, because I need my space at this point.  That's what is hard.   I'd need a bigger house!

There are a lot of articles knocking singledom, and there are articles knocking marriage.  Marriage can be a wonderful thing, to the right person.  I've had two failed relationships.  The second was more like a divorce. Fortunately, no joint accounts.

Yes, I would have loved to have met someone. Someone right.  Moderately sane, who appreciates me.  

And I joke about being Miss Havisham, and dying alone waiting for a wedding day that never came...

But sometimes, being single is hard, and doesn't always feel all that worthwhile...  to plan a vacation, alone. And take selfies of yourself!  Lots and lots of selfies.  But then...  no-one to share in the memories.  In the "oh, remember this?!".  And feeling like you should just burn it all, because who is going to get it?  Its not going to mean anything to my niece.  Or my cousin's kids.   It seems silly...

And yet it is a refuge, a safe space.  My own space.   I know what works, how things work...

So, what do you like or dislike about being single?

No comments: