Monday, March 2, 2015

What people don't talk about when they talk about the Apocalypse.

They don't talk about periods.  Its mind-boggling, but there you have it.   In all the fictional end-of-the-modern-world stories I've read...  

Some of the dudes who write these are allegedly married to women, according to their bios.  Some of the writers are women.  There are lengthy depictions of battle scenes, or torture, but...

No periods.

I'm not talking about a lengthy screed of every cramp, and washing out pads, but COME ON.  Periods are messy.  A week of bleeding, for me, debilitating cramps.   And leaves are not going to cut it.

But reuseable pads have to be washed.  And dried.   And would probably attract animals.  They wouldn't have disposable.   Or tampons.  Although they might find a Diva cup or use a sponge (but even the sponge needs to be washed out)

And not even a mention.

Or what happens when the birth control and the condoms run out?  A rise in STDs?

And the apocalypse has to happen at the right time...  if it happened any time after late spring, forget about finding seeds in the grocery store...

If the apocalypse happened right now, I'd be able to plant squash and tomatoes and potatoes.   I have some old seeds, but those are mostly for flowers...

I wouldn't have anything for catching rain or melting snow over the fireplace...

What have you noticed missing in stories about the apocalypse?


No comments: