It was the day of Robin Williams' death. Never have I seen my twitter and Facebook feeds so full of sorrow and of love. Robin touched the hearts of my generation so much. I grew up with him, Mork from Ork, The World According to Garp, What Dreams may Come, Bicentennial Man, Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire.
He touched us all. He appealed to our inner humanity, to the sense that there is always something a little alien inside us. To the quirky, the people who would go to great lengths for the ones we love.
And we all loved him.
I wish he had known how much he was loved. It might not have helped. But I just wish, wish, wish he had known.
He was an incredible talent, and his movies helped me through some of the darker times in my life.
And he is gone, and the whole world, from Scotland, Egypt, India, Australia, grieves.
We grieve in part because he embodied "everyman".
We grieve for that part of ourselves that he touched.
We grieve because it helps us grieve for others we have lost.
I grieve because I saw such light, such kindness, such sadness in his movies. He let us see his humor, but also his pain.
And I hope this, at least, helps his family. That he was able to unite the Internet through love.
The bright spark in the darkness. Love wins.
And Robin, you are loved. You are loved so much.
You have touched many, many lives. More lives than you will ever know.
And I hope that you are looking down from a great mountaintop, and feel that love envelop you and take you to safety. You have left us with incredible characters, part of a generation of people, and will live, in our hearts forever.
Goodbye, oh captain, my captain. Nanu, nanu.
No comments:
Post a Comment