Monday, August 4, 2014

Anthem for Doomed Youth.

To Wilfred Owen, who would have dreamed that your poem would still be appropriate, 100 years on.  Now it truly is doomed youth, doomed children.   I have no words anymore, for the horrors I see on my Twitter feed.  The bodies of children being stored in ice cream freezers, because there is no room at the morgue.

I feel that I have to keep testifying, because our, as Americans, complicity is so strong.   We are providing the bombs that kill these children.  The deaths, oh god, the deaths.

And you never thought your words would apply to babies.

And when does it all stop? When does the hatred and the anger stop?   Israel will NEVER feel safe.  The Iron Dome was not put into place as protection from Hamas, it was put into place as protection from Lebanon.   Hamas was a nuisance, until they became a scapegoat, again.

It is complex, and there are layers and layers of hatred, of anger, of...  and some of it was the arbitrary division of Palestine into Palestine and Israel.  Without regard to where the lines should be drawn, or forethought into the settlement/resettlement and future of the land.

And we come to here, from genocide to an ethnic cleansing.  From the Holocaust to children's deaths, yet again.

And the cycle continues, and children die.


CHILDREN DIE.

And I feel so helpless.   But I have to speak up.

Imagine losing 18 family members at once.   I have a friend, who supports Israel, who has four brothers.  All of whom have kids.  Dan, if you read this, put yourself in their shoes.   Imagine losing your whole family in one blow.  Your brothers, their wives, most of their kids.   Imagine the impact it would have on YOUR family if you lost that many people at once.  I am not engaging you on Facebook, because it kills me that you seem to support this wholesale slaughter of families.

They have no way of burying the bodies.

The morgues are overflowing.   The power station has been bombed.

This morning, on Twitter, I read a tweet that said that Israel accidentally bombed the UN school because they were aiming for three men on motorcycles.  How does that possibly make sense?  A bomb large enough to obliterate a school, targeting three men who would have been a moving target?

STOP.  Please.  Hasn't there been enough death?

"First, they came for the Socialists"


No comments: