So, as most of you reading this may know, there was a storm, and basically all of CT lost power. So I was living a little like a pioneer... (except for going to my car to recharge my cell, so I could look at the CLP updates for the outage map and curse). But it was candlelight, candlelight and firelight... lots of reading, some crosswords..
I heated stuff up in one-pot meals over sterno...which was also how I made my coffee in the morning. built up a big fire at night, usually ended up using nine logs a night... would toast myself well before bed, then run up and dive into the chilly bed until it warmed up. I now know why they used bedwarmers!
The irony of this is that I had just finished reading a book called "I'll see you in a Hundred years" where one couple had taken themselves and their young son back in time to 1900 for a year. And so, I suppose, in a way I was more aware of what I needed to do. (Although back in 1900 they didn't have to worry about pipes freezing, no indoor plumbing).
What I want for next time? (Because there is going to be a next time, thank you CLP) Some kind of woodburning or pellet stove upstairs. A gas stove in the kitchen. A bedwarmer. A way to at least cook over the fireplace! (more cast-iron, please!). And a tablet of some sort, so I can keep up to date. CLP and the town were both updating online. HOW, may I ask, are people supposed to access the Internet if they have no power, no laptop, no smart phone, and no libraries to get to the Internet?
I also need to figure out a better place for my wood, for the next delivery.
But at the same time that I had no power, it was still oddly peaceful. No Internet, no classes, no activities... just quiet and books... sometimes on the couch in the sun, other times in front of the fireplace, or tucked up in bed with candles blazing....
No comments:
Post a Comment