Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow, ice, and climbing over the Christmas tree...

Ok. So the first thing you need to know is that when I'm snowed in, I do NOT spend all my time on Facebook playing Frontierville. Got that? Sometimes I clean! So during the last snowstorm I actually took my tree down, and shoved it out the front door.. (this does have a bearing for later in the story)... I also took down the real pine roping and tossed that out too... (it left most of its needles, which I shall be attempting to clean up until JULY!)

Now, I've been proudly entering and exiting my house through the garage, not the front door. (Why proudly? Because me, myself and I changed the doorknob to one that takes a real key...the previous owner, whom I refer to in the privacy of my own head as...hey, its in the privacy of my own head..are you nuts? Anyway, stupid mcnumbnuts had put an eminently pickable lock in the garage, which made it impossible to use the garage) Of course, the advantage to actually using the front door meant that I would keep it clear and the path shoveled...

So yesterday I try to leave the house through the garage, and the garage door (the one that lifts up so that hypothetically one could put a car in the garage? yeah, that one) is frozen shut. Immovable. And I have a giant bush blocking the front door...which also has not been shoveled since I wasn't using that door... So I go out, climb over the tree and then slide on the ice out to my car... go out, to work, then costco, reconn and the theater... I come back. And now remember, I've been to costco, so I'm not empty-handed.

I try the garage door once more, for shits and giggles, just in case. (and where on God's Green Earth did I pick up the expression shits and giggles? eeew)

No luck, frozen stiff. Won't budge.

I look down the ice road to the door with the tree standing proud sentry in front... grab my bag of Costco goodies (at least I'd had the sense to have a bag in the car!), slipskateslide down to the door. I put my purse and the bag on top of the tree, nestled into the branches, nice and safe...(this is also uphill and coated in ice too...) Reach over the tree, unlock the front door... climb over the tree, trying to avoid the spots where my feet went through in the morning...

MADE it!

Needless to say, I don't think I'm going anywhere today.

No comments: