Instead of leaving a comment on my friend Patrice's blog,(http://lettersfromlordship.wordpress.com/)I thought I'd add my own list here.
Fifteen books/literature that have shaped and inspired me:
1)Wuthering Heights
2)Clan of the Cave Bear
3)Anne of Green Gables (the series)
4)Time Enough For Love
5)Crocodile on the Sandbank
6)1984
7)The Iliad/Odyssey
8)Ancient Egyptian Myths (a now-ratty paperback I was given in my childhood)
9)D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
10)A God Against the Gods
11)Narnia books
12)Dr Doolittle
13)The Once and Future King
14)The Mists of Avalon
15)The Great Gilly Hopkins
Hmmm, looking at these, I notice a definite trend...a single heroic person, striving valiantly alone... I can't believe I left off the Lord of The Rings Trilogy... there's an odd mixture of fatalism and optimism in these books, though. And my taste in books is still similar... I own a lot of mythologically-oriented books, or books that play with Classics, a lot of what I like to call 'Heroic Mortal' books. I don't own a lot of chick-lit, but lots of historical fiction, lots of sci-fi in the fantasy genre...... Tolkienesque books... very dramatic, passionate books appeal to me....
No comments:
Post a Comment