So I'm half watching a story on books that were excluded from the Bible. And one story amused me. Apparently written around the first Century BC, it involves Joseph and his wife, the daughter of an Egyptian priest. Its a love story, involving a miracle that enabled them to marry.
What they did not mention in the program is that there was a growing tradition of love stories around that time... (I took a class on the Ancient Greek Novel in college). Love stories involving the fantastic and amazing, where love generally triumphed. (And in the Ancient Greek Novel, the Adventures of Baron Munchausen would have paled in comparison). I do wonder how that would have tied in...
It just demonstrates some of the problems with overspecialisation. Something can come from a Biblical tradition and a popular tradition as well, and there was much more interaction around the ancient world than most people realise, yet it all get pigeonholed. Which does annoy me.
No comments:
Post a Comment