I grew up in Kuwait, and in Egypt. In the 70s. So we had some "girly" barbies, but we also had a variety of clothes for them and for Ken. (In fact, Ken and Barbie sometimes shared clothes... mostly jackets and tops...some clothes, Ken filled out better!) as you can see in the following photo...
We had tons of accessories, as well as a few handmade things. Most of the outfits came as separates, or with scarves/vests/jackets/etc. Unfortunately, the truly ugly iconic ones are the ones that survived better... not the well-loved ones.
But I see a lot of Barbie elements in my closet today...
take jumpsuits...

Or dresses...
Or even sweaters or nighties....
And I recently realized that I've been looking for a pair of boots similar to Barbie's..
Barbie also inspired some of my love of big jewelry.. Although that may also be from my paternal aunts and grand mother. I don't think it mattered so much to me what I wore, as what Barbie wore, that shaped my taste... It certainly is not boring...
But you know what? For all you parents who are concerned about your kids playing with Barbie? Just get them a variety of clothes, because that is where it begins...
But you know what? For all you parents who are concerned about your kids playing with Barbie? Just get them a variety of clothes, because that is where it begins...




No comments:
Post a Comment