So, the trope is that feminists don't need anyone, and never need help, and sisters can do it for themselves...
But sometimes, it is ok to ask for help. I know right now, I am feeling stuck. I'm not feeling strong, capable, etc. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.
So I asked a friend for help. I said "I could really use your company when I go car shopping, I don't want to go in there alone". He said no. That I'm a feminist and I don't need a "big strong man" to help me, and that I will feel better if I do it myself.
Even feminists need moral support.
Even feminists need someone to go car shopping with.
And I'd rather go car shopping now, rather than when the car breaks down.
But frankly, I'm intimidated.
I stink at bargaining. My sister is the Khan el-Khalili expert in the family.
And the problem is, lack of confidence snowballs.
Yes, I have a lot to do. But I am feeling so frustrated, and so stuck, nothing is getting done.
And it is easier when you have support. When you have friends who are there for you.
When you have backup.
I am just so frustrated. I have not, at age 43, found my place yet. I'm a little nerdy, a little geeky, but I don't fit in with the fen. I'm artsy, but don't have the talent to create real art.
I'm bookish. I cook. I'm feminist. I'm angry at the huge divides I see in our country.
I'm tired. I'm tired of being frustrated, of being stuck, of being lonely.
I'm tired of constantly feeling alien, of feeling "other".
I need a little help from my friends, guys.
Because even though I'm feminist, the world is still patriarchal.
No comments:
Post a Comment