Sometimes, being single is actually ok for the holidays. This year, I don't really have any Christmas "goodies". I don't have a tree. I've got my creche set up, a bit of Christmas Greenery out, but that's really it.
I don't have any treats. I toyed with making a gluten-free gingerbread house, but decided it wasn't worth it.
I don't get gifts, which is ok, truly. All I really want is the big stuff which I end up buying myself, eventually, because my parents dont want to "get me the wrong thing"...
I'm just enjoying the time off, reading, relaxing...
I will be roasting a duck tomorrow... so that will be nice.
Of course there is a part of me that wishes I could share the season with imaginary, sorry, hypothetical, children.
If I had kids, of course we'd have traditions.
One of those would be making a fruitcake Thanksgiving weekend.
Another would be a live tree, in a pot, which we would plant...
And another would be reading The Father Christmas Letters, by Tolkien.
As well, of course, as some of my childhood traditions. Gingerbread men.
Eggnog, family carols, and a fire on Christmas eve.
But this year, its still just me. And that's ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment