Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What I love about working in a Library..

You find fascinating books when people return them...that's how I found BONK and The Wordy Shipmates, and Terry Pratchett's Nation. But not only that, people remind you of the authors you loved as a child, authors like Margery Sharp. Margery Sharp was the woman who wrote The Rescuers. The original book was much different than the Disney movie of the same name. The mice were the same, and they rescued a child, but the mechanics were very, very different. The book was much more dramatic, involving much more ingenuity...

But if this patron had not asked if I'd ever heard of Margery Sharp, I never would have remembered how passionate I was about her children's books. I remember that vividly now... I loved her books. And the minute I checked the library catalog it all came back to me... even the fact that she'd written adult books as well.

And upon further investigation, I find that there is a website, with picture. And she looks as you would expect an author to look. ...

I find it equally as thrilling to rediscover past loves in literature as I do to find new ones!

No comments: