Saturday, March 8, 2008

Marvelous language...

Language and idioms are wonderful, wonderful things. I read a variety of things, including some older books, and I was enchanted with two phrases that recently hit me over the head. I'd love to hear others, if anyone knows some.

In the Alice B Toklas cookbook, a potential servant is horrified and leaves because no-one told her that Alice and Getrude Stein (aside, oddly, Alice refers to G.S by her full name all the time in the book)

"lived French" and that that was not what she had been led to suspect and she was leaving, which she did. P. 180

In Anne's House of Dreams, a childhood classic for women of a certain age (and any potential kids of mine), Miss Cornelia announces:

His second wife could manage him. She made him walk Spanish, believe me! P.95

I always wonder how these expressions came about, and marvel at how apt they are. And we don't use these anymore... I love colloquialisms, idioms, language. Fit as a fiddle, poor as paint...

No comments: