Wednesday, May 12, 2021

We need to talk about the bridge..

 Dear Farmington, 

We need to talk about "Big Bird" Bridge and its use as a white supremacy symbol.  For those of you who do not live in Farmington, CT, We have a "rails to trails" bridge that was defaced a generation or two ago by a white boy who had been nicknamed Big Bird.   He carefully put his nickname on the bridge on one side, and the other has "class of" and then the year.   Its used to hang white sheets off of.  Literally.   The white sheets usually have a birthday wish for a high school teen.  

When George Floyd died, a Black Lives Matter banner was put up on the bridge.  And immediately ripped down.  We put more up.   And they were taken down.


White people insisting this was political.  That the bridge was a community bulletin board.  That we can't have nice things because something something ruiners.... and FINE we won't have ANYTHING on the bridge.


I drove down that way the other day.  The bridge is again full of white sheets.   "Lea is fifty!" (Wait, I thought this was a place for birthday wishes for teens.  I'm fifty, I'm decidedly not a teen).  Someone asking someone else to prom.   (ok, that's a bit stalkery, no) 


I went on FB.  The "community page" (which is its own version of problematic) had a thread about some of the white sheets.  "oooh, are they going to prom together? we need to KNOW" followed by "maybe they'll get married, and have baaayyyybies". 


GNARGH.    No. Nonononono.   


None of this is cute.  

No comments: