Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas

This is for all the people who are solo at Christmas.  You don't have to be Scrooge, sitting looking mournful all alone.  I have never had much luck with Christmas open houses, as most folks I know have families they are spending Christmas with.   So I do my own thing.  I do buy a tree and a few decorations, and put out a crèche.  I make eggnog.  I try to go to at least one carol sing or seasonal show.  I bake.  Panforte, mince tarts, I'm planning on trying my hand at a gingerbread house this year.  

I plan a nice meal, and try to Skype with family.  I have a silly Facebook tradition of singing the twelve days of Christmas, starting on Christmas Day and ending on Epiphany.  Some of my friends join in, some don't.  Some get silly with it.  

You could get a live tree every year and plant it after the holidays, you could have a book you reread every year, my point is that you don't have to give up on the holidays or not have your own traditions just because you are single.   There are, of course, a lot of volunteer opportunities this time of year, but I prefer to volunteer at times when there is need but not quite so many people queuing up to feed the homeless.   

Use the good china, buy yourself a pretty plate setting if you don't have china, build a fire, have a spa day, watch silly movies.... But be good to yourself.   

No comments: