One thing that strikes me very much is the lack of plastic. I keep working at cutting down my plastic usage. We used to hoard ziplock bags when I was growing up, we'd bring them over from the states.
I try to use glass or ceramic (or metal) in the fridge. But it's hard. Everything these days has plastic components. And they don't make the old refrigerator glass anymore.
But you watch these old shows, or read the books of the time, and I feel we've lost something. A, not frugality, but a lasting ness. I am not one for nostalgia over Walkmen or cassettes, or MTV. But I am a little nostalgic for drinking fountains, pay phones, being able to be unconnected (as I type this on my iPad). There was a certain bliss to going to the library and having the stacks and stacks of books to do research in.
Don't get me wrong, I love being able to google something on my phone, or tune in the Proms or the Opera online.
But there is a certain satisfaction in the old, too.
And if we brought back drinking fountains, we could get rid of all the plastic bottles...
No comments:
Post a Comment