Monday, July 21, 2014

The current conflict and the heartache I feel.

Death.  That is what I'm seeing on my newsfeed.  Death, hate, anger.   And I just feel heartbreak.  Because something that was potentially so good turned into something so bad.

I am not in favor of Hamas's tactics.  But it is a bloody, vicious cycle, which is only going to continue.   I am not in favor of Israel's tactics either.  They have a defense shield system which does not let the rockets through.  I am not pro-anyone sitting under a hail of missiles, but why not just let Hamas use up their rockets?   Why respond so viciously that children die?

That is what is bothering me so much.  Children are dying.   Civilians.  Entire families of 18 at one blow.

And they are not letting aid through.  They are not letting doctors through.  

They are threatening the journalists.

I saw a post yesterday from Mayim Bialik, on FB, asking people to please not attack her because she is Jewish and a celebrity.   That she is pro-Israel, but also supports a peaceful Palestine.

I've seen my Jewish friends commenting on anti-Palestinian posts.  There was one that was supposedly a children's program that was teaching children to hate the Jews.   (Full disclosure: I could not watch it).

I don't know what the solution is.  I really don't.  I'm not sure there is a solution, at this point.  Go back to the outlines of the original Israel as outlined by the Balfour Agreement?  Scrap it all and start over? divide the country in half, equally?  The problem with the current situation is that the relatives of all those who are dying are going to have incredible anger and sorrow.   We need to heal that.   Israel needs to do something to say "I'm sorry your relatives died, here is what we can do"  A united rebuilding effort.

I see the pictures of Jews cheering on the bombs, and the pictures of the dead babies.  And it hurts.   It hurts that there is so much hate, from two groups who really just want to live in peace.

Both groups want the other GONE.  That is the real problem.  

I don't know what the solution is, but we need a long-term plan.  Not a band-aid.  And the anti-ads need to be banned.

(And yes, this is the legacy of colonialism).

No comments: