Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Race in the media...

So, I have thought a lot about the portrayal of "other" in various media.  And, right now, we don't have a lot of positive images out there.  In full disclosure, I'm writing this as a white woman.  But when most of the books for/about African-American kids involve the Harlem choir, or MLK, or slavery, then THAT is a problem.  When there are no positive tv shows showing a regular black family, or anything other than the token black teenager...  That is a problem.  Even in adult books or magazines...or even the news! (Granted, I have other problems with the news).

But this is something that needs to be fixed!  Not in a divisive manner, I have a friend who says that skin color shouldn't matter.  No, it shouldn't , and to me, it doesn't, but I also think that the only way it truly will not matter is by representing everyone, and having real integration.  How we achieve that, I don't know, because we have become so divided in many ways, and there is no one quick and easy fix.

No comments: