http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=51075048.blog
As you know, I traveled back to the States on the Queen Mary 2. It was fabulous, luxurious, and surprisingly busy, but after 8 days on ship (Hamburg to New York), I was ready to get off. There were an amazing variety of people on the Queen Mary 2. There were people who knew the route, where the best spots were, who were old fans of the ship...who had been on all the Cunard cruise lines. There were folks 'trying it out' who went Southampton-Hamburg-Southampton. (There may have been folks who went Southampton-Hamburg, or Hamburg-Southampton, but the former, I obviously wouldn't have met..) There were even a group of about 200 people who were going round-trip Southampton-New York-Southampton. I think I would have gotten cabin fever! It amazed me how many people were regulars.
I can still see why this lady would like to live aboard, though. In this era of retirement homes with forced activities, poorly paid, overworked staff... to live in a place where you get to go all over the world, with meals included. They take care of your dietary needs, you can swim, you can go to lectures, plays, take a dance class, get a massage...there is a library, and for a nice chunk of change, even Internet. There are pretty up-to-date movies, and even TV (although you lose it in the Mid-Atlantic..Cunard needs to set up their own satellite for TV). You'd always meet new people. And the staff would really get to know you.
I would miss taking ceramics, seeing trees and greenery, seasons... I would miss having my own things around me, and I'd get tired of dressing for dinner every night. I'd want to get off the boat and walk around.
No comments:
Post a Comment